Sunday 20 January 2013

Martin Sharp

In 1990 or there abouts I was at North Sydney Markets and saw the famous  Australian artist Martin Sharp and his friends selling his posters.  I was very attracted to them but did not buy  any. Over the years I have often thought of that lost opportunity.

Fast forward to summer 2012, this time at Rozelle Markets.  Having a wander around Rozelle markets is one of my usual activities and although many treasures can be found it was a particularly lucky for me on that particular day.   I was passing a stall selling Indian products and on top of some fabric were a number of rolls of paper.  I don’t usually dig around looking at stuff but this time I started to unroll the tattered rolls.  I questioned the young woman and she explained they were Martin Sharp posters that her mother was given in 1982 by the artist himself.  The mother and Martin Sharp were friends and he gave her the entire set of 7 Nimrod Theatre posters and signed, numbered and dated them.  There were 6 posters at the market that day, one had been taken by the girl’s brother and he had it framed.   I was happy to buy those remaining 6 posters and  Ross regards this as my BFE (best find ever).

The Nimrod Theatre posters were originally designed  and printed in the 1970s.  In 1982 they were printed again at the same silk screen printers but with better paper.  There were 1000 printed of each design.  My posters are from the second printing and  all numbered 142/1000

Martin Sharp was born in 1942.  He was a successful painter, cartoonist, songwriter and film maker and is particularly well known for his posters and record covers.  In London Sharp designed album covers for Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and Bob Dylan.

In 1969 he returned to Sydney, setting up the Yellow House in Kings Cross. He was involved with the Nimrod Theatre at this time working in set, costume and poster design.  Some of the recurrent  themes  seen in his artwork include Luna Park, Tiny Tim, the word eternity which was often seen in chalk on the sidewalk  in the 1940s.  Martin Sharp continues to work and it is not uncommon to see his work at the Archibald.

I am chuffed to bits with my 6 posters, some of which you can see here.  I am missing the Ginger Meggs one so if anyone has it and wants to let it go, please leave a message.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Nancy
    I can complete your set of posters and can send more info. My email address is mgrey@buzzinteractive.com.au

    regards
    Marguerite

    ReplyDelete