Vaucluse House was built for William Charles Wentworth (1790-1872) and his family. Wentworth was an explorer, journalist, barrister, politician and entrepreneur and his wife, Sarah was the daughter of a convict. They and their family moved into the house in 1828. There were 515 acres and the property is on the harbour in the suburb of Sydney's Vaucluse.
In 1911, NSW Goverment acquired 28 acres of the property, including the house and out buildings, to use as public parkland. In 1981 the property was transferred to the Historic Houses Trust of NSW.